Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Embrace Your Season

This past year has been CRAZY! Here are some of the changes I have experienced:
  • Having twins
  • My husband ruptured his achilles tendon and had surgery the day after my girls were born. He had two months of recovery being on crutches and then time spent going to physical therapy and in a walking boot. 
  • While on maternity leave was laid off from a job I loved (due to financial reasons)
  • Starting a new job
  • Getting acquainted and getting to know my new coworkers 
  • My husband started classes for ministerial credentials
  • Many of my husband's and my friends have moved out of town (at least 6 couples I can think of now)
  • Learning to make new friends 
  • My husband's grandfather passed away
  • A dear family friend passed away
  • A dear family friend has cancer and is undergoing treatment for it.

I was lamenting all the changes and was talking to the Lord about how I wish I could skip this part of my life of having to adjust to all of them. I wished I could be older, wiser in an instant and could fondly look back on my memories of good times. I could look back on lessons learned without the pain of how I learned them. He gently reminded me that unless I go through the difficult season, unless I am present in them and look at them as a gift, an opportunity to allow God to shape me, I will not be able to be older, wiser and able to fondly look back on my memories. I will be older, still immature, selfish, still full of sin and problems. In these difficult seasons is where I grow. Without pressure, we all can grow complacent and stagnant. Seasons of difficulty are how God shapes me, challenges me and sometimes breaks me to make me into a more mature Elaine. If I don't submit to God during this season and accept where He has placed me, I will gain nothing from going through it.

The other day I was thinking about spring and summer and how excited I was for warm weather. I was thinking about wearing shorts, t-shirts, sandals and in getting excited for warm weather, I often want to start wearing warm weather clothes. As if, my wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals will somehow change the weather outside, hahaha! If I suddenly start wearing summer clothes when it may be April, but 40 degrees outside, it is foolish. It doesn't change the season I am in any faster and I remain miserable and cold while I wait for it to get warmer. It is much better to embrace the season the Lord has me in. Cling to the Lord, remain tender to His leading, open to His changing. In the end I will be changed and the better for it.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 Amplified Bible (AMP)
TO EVERYTHING there is a season, and a time for every matter or purpose under heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment