Thursday, August 25, 2011

Birth Story

I am going to tell you an incredible story. If you've heard it second hand you probably don't believe it, but I want to convince you that it's true. So here goes...

When I was pregnant with my twin girls, my husband and I went to my 35 week appointment to see how I, and they, were doing. I had been diagnosed with preeclempsia the week prior, so I was being closely monitored to make sure I was safe and so were our girls. They watched my contractions (I had been having them sporadically for a few weeks, but nothing consistent and never painful. The contractions just felt like all my stomach muscles were flexing at one time without my consent and so strongly they often took my breath away). They also checked my blood pressure, protein levels...etc. Towards the end of my appointment, when I was in the exam room, I asked the doctor if she would be checking how far dilated and effaced I was. (Both of these determine how far into labor you are). The doctor had told me at my last appointment, 2 weeks prior, that at this appointment she would be checking these things. She replied with, "Oh yeah, we do need to do that, go ahead and get ready and I will come back to check you." I got undressed, but had to go to the bathroom REALLY bad. I had been holding it during the appointment and couldn't wait much longer. I told Brandon, if my doctor doesn't get back here in 3 minutes, I am going to run to the restroom real quick. Well, the doctor returned before my time limit for her was up. Praise God she did.

She came into the room and examined me. As she did, she sort of giggled and said, "You are dilated to a nine. You need to go to the hospital right away." At those words I almost started crying. I looked at Brandon and thought, "What happened to all the other centimeters?" (At 10 centimeters you have the baby, typically you head to the hospital at 3-4 centimeters). Brandon then asked her if we could stop by the house to pick up our hospital bags and she said to head straight there, she would meet us at the hospital and directed me to not sneeze on the way there.

We walked into the lobby of the doctor's office where Brandon's mom, Sheri, was waiting for us. (She was our chauffeur. Due to Brandon's injury to his Achilles tendon two weeks prior and my being extremely pregnant, she had driven us to our appointment). Brandon says to her, "We have to go to the hospital. We're going to have the twins today." She looked at him in disbelief and tells him to stop joking. We were both smiling and again I wasn't in pain. (On the way to the appointment we had joked about the possibility of going into labor today. Plus B and I like to surprise/play pranks on our family. So, she had reason to doubt the sincerity in our news.) Brandon then explains that I am dilated to a nine and that the doctor was going to meet us at the hospital. Sheri then starts to hyperventilate as we lead her into the parking lot. On our way to the hospital Brandon calls my mom, my sister, his dad and his sister while I gave Sheri driving directions.

When we arrived at the hospital they admitted us and then lead us up to our birthing suite/room. I changed into the hospital gown and they began to hook me up to IV's and various monitors. The nurse began to ask various easy questions like how old I was, how many weeks pregnant I was, when were the girls due...etc. Because I had terrible pregnancy brain, Brandon had to answer the questions for me as I kept giving the wrong answers or I took too long to figure out the answer. (Like, how old I was. I actually answered some of the questions that were supposed to be about me with answers that were about Brandon). She was dumbfounded that I wasn't in any pain. She kept jokingly asking me as well as the other nurses if I was sure I was dilated to a nine as Brandon and I were conversing and cracking jokes like normal.

The nurse then asked if I wanted an epidural. I took a long time to answer and she told me that no one was forcing me to get one. Well, I knew that, but because I wasn't in any pain I felt like it was a waste of time and money. But, my doctor and I had agreed I would get one because I would be prepped and ready in case there were complications when I was delivering the twins. So, I decided to go ahead and get one to make sure I was safe and so were the girls.

As soon as I got the epidural, I felt really sleepy, so I took a nap while Brandon and my sister played games on their phones together. After a couple hours, they wheeled me into the operating room to deliver the girls.

Once in the operating room, I was transferred from the bed from the birthing suite to a table. They hooked me up to the contraction monitor and began to prep me for delivery. The doctor then told me when to push, as I couldn't feel my contractions, and when she did I just focused all my energy into pushing. I didn't cry out from pain (there wasn't any) and I didn't cry out from flexing my muscles as much as I could. I didn't want to waste my energy on it. I just pushed as long and as hard as I could each time she told me to. In between pushing we talked, I rested and conserved energy for the next pushing.

Audrey was positioned first and as I pushed I could feel her getting stuck at a certain point. I continually prayed and asked the Lord to give me the strength and ability to bring Audrey into this world. Eventually I was getting exhausted and the doctor used the vacuum on her to get her out. Once she was out, I only had to push twice for Grace. She actually was positioned feet first and tried to put her arm out. The doctor had to push her arm back in to pull her by her feet out.

Once the girls were born, they rushed them to the NICU (because they were born 5 weeks early, they were quite premature). I was wheeled back to the birthing suite to recuperate and gain my strength.

The reason this story is so incredible is because I was able to give birth to not just one, but two babies with no pain! Before I was pregnant, when Brandon and I were trying to conceive I had read a book called Supernatural Childbirth by Terry Mize. Because of the book, I began to pray and ask God for no pain during childbirth. The whole time I was pregnant I asked God for no pain during childbirth. I didn't tell anyone because they wouldn't believe it was possible and would try to convince me to do otherwise. The only person who knew I was asking for this was Brandon and even he was skeptical.

videoI love that God answered my prayer for something crazy, out of the ordinary and radical. I love that through my story, He is glorified. He is able to do more than we can ask or imagine. When I think about what He did for me, I am prompted to ask, to believe for incredible things. Even while I prayed and asked God for it, I wasn't 100% sure He would answer my prayer, but I am so thankful He did!

3 comments:

  1. Since I lived this with you I can only praise God because His love for you manifested on that day, bringing the girls into this world in a supernatural way. I do believe we are to believe for big things. Our God loves to give us great gifts. Thank you for sharing this Elaine because it boosts my faith in a day I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg Elaine! I am crying as I began reading the part where you were so dilated it was time for the babies to come! It is an encouraging story and my most favorite part is the last one: I wasn't sure he would answer my prayer but I am glad he did.

    This changes my heart and the way I pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great ride. Very good articles Elaine. You are a great writer...and mother. :)

    ReplyDelete